Monday, December 17, 2012

Letter to Santa

I was all set to write another entry in my blog on Friday when I heard what had happened to the children at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

I was too shocked and saddened to write anything.  The events in that stricken community reminded me of what had happened at Dunblane Primary 16 years ago when I was living in Scotland.

Then, as now, a gunman had entered the school, killing 16 five-and-six year-olds and their teacher, for reasons not yet known.  Then, as now, we saw footage of grieving families and haggard police on the nightly news.

It was a heart-breaking, painful time in the little town's history, one those who lived through it will never forget. But there was a positive outcome of that tragic event.

Two women in Dunblane started the Snowdrop Campaign - so-called because only snowdrops were growing at the time of that March massacre - to ban handguns.

Within six weeks they had gathered 750,000 signatures on a petition, and within a year-and-a-half, had achieved their aim. Last year the UK, population 60 million,  had eight deaths from handguns; the US, with 300 million people, had 10,000.

This morning I read in the newspaper that today, December 17th, is the last day to get letters to Santa in time for Christmas. All day I have been thinking of what I would write if Santa could grant me my wish.

What I want is a world where children can grow up in a world of peace and joy, like the Christmas carols say, and not be threatened or harmed by those who have hate in their hearts.

I want a world where children can learn and play in their communities safely and securely, knowing that they are loved and protected.

I want for every child what we have here at Pacific Gardens.

Kathryn


1 comment:

Judy Roberts said...

Oh, Kathryn, I so agree with you.